Today, a friend asked me how to gift my Kindle eBook, Barty's Secret, to her great grandsons. It's a great question and this isn't the first time I've been asked this as an author. Hopefully these instructions will help others wanting to know how to give digital books too.
Amazon makes gifting eBooks simple to do by providing a “Give As A Gift” button right under the buy button. Once you hit that you simply enter the recipients email and they're sent a link to the book and can download it to their Kindle library.
Here are the steps in a little more detail for those who don't yet have Amazon or Kindle accounts and want to gift books or get kids started reading eBooks who haven't yet got accounts.
How to gift a Kindle eBook in 5 easy steps
1. Log into your Amazon account
Register one if you don't have so you can purchase and download eBooks on Amazon Kindle
2. Go to the Kindle eBook URL address link on Amazon
It will look something like this one for Barty's Secret: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CCIHR7G )
3. Click the “Give As A Gift” button under the buy button
This is your work done!
5. The recipient gets the gift link by email and redeems it to read in the Kindle app
Once they redeem the book via the email it downloads directly on their device to read.
What if they don't have the Kindle App or an Amazon Account?
To begin reading Kindle eBooks they will need to:
1. Set up an account on Amazon
Save the password and email for logging in on Kindle
2. Download the Kindle App to the device of their choice
This could be an iPad, computer (PC/laptop), smart phone, tablet, iPad, Kindle eReader. The Kindle app is downloadable from all app stores on these devices.
3. Open the Kindle App and Log into their Amazon account through it
Kindle eBooks are read in a downloaded Kindle app on any electronic device which the reader links to their Amazon account
4. Open the gift eBook email and redeem the book using their Amazon account
The gifted eBook will automatically download to the Kindle app for reading when they open it next!
You could also get them started with my FREE Billy Boss Whodunit or Street Cricket Wars starter sets by sending them to this link.